10-20 hours per week for 6 months or longer
Flexibility of exact start and end date and weekly schedule
Posner Center for International Development
1031 33rd Street, Suite 174, Denver, CO 80205
This position is unpaid. Here are some of the benefits:
- Significant experience in the operation of an international non-profit with specific skills gained in communications, including social media, website, printed materials, and assisting in planning communications strategy;
- Relationships with organization’s staff, volunteers, board members, and partners;
- Opportunity to work in fun, small non-profit organization environment;
- Ability to network with and work alongside staff and volunteers representing over 65 additional non-profit organizations housed at the Posner Center for International Development; and
- Potential for course credit depending on the requirements of your college or university program.
AfricAid is a nonprofit organization that supports girls’ education in Africa in order to provide young women with the opportunity to transform their own lives and the futures of their communities. Our thoughtfully crafted and executed programs are empowering the next generation of African women leaders.
AfricAid is seeking an unpaid fellow to assist in the ongoing development and implementation of its communications efforts. The Communications Fellow will work under the direction of the Communication Director to manage social media and assist with other printed and online marketing materials. This position will require 10-20 hours per week, with a minimum of 8 hours at the AfricAid office and flexibility to complete the other hours from home or in the office. The ideal candidate will be able to commit to a minimum of 6 months with preference given to those able to stay 9-12 months.
Job Duties and Responsibilities:
- Maintain and expand AfricAid’s social media presence on Facebook, Instagram, and Linkedin and explore options for expansion. Manage everything from content creation, design, planning strategies and schedules, and completing daily posts.
- Assist with creation of online and print materials, such as invitations and newsletters.
- Draft content for print materials in collaboration with staff, including press releases, print and e-newsletters, and additional fundraising campaign materials.
- Update AfricAid blog and assist with other website maintenance on our WordPress site and help improve reach through Google AdGrants and SEO.
- Manage AfricAid’s online photo and video storage and support Communications Director with photo and video editing as needed.
- Research new opportunities for media coverage and online networking.
- Provide support for implementation of ongoing fundraising efforts and community events.
- Attend AfricAid team meetings and communications committee meetings.
- Assist Communication Director and volunteers with other tasks as necessary.
Ideal candidates will be currently enrolled in or previously completed a bachelor’s or graduate degree program with a background or interest in international studies, marketing and public relations, non-profit management, communications, or information technology (IT).
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Proficiency with social media platforms, including Facebook, Instagram, and Linkedin.
- Content creation utilizing programs such as Word, Publisher, InDesign, and Canva.
- Photo and video editing skills using programs like Photoshop and Premier a plus.
- Experience with website, blogging, and email management programs such as WordPress and Constant Contact a plus.