NCSL’s Environment, Energy and Transportation Program is seeking a Tribal Working Group Coordinator to assist with NCSL’s work on nuclear energy and nuclear waste transportation issues. This position is part of a team implementing deliverables under an NCSL cooperative agreement with the U.S. Department of Energy. The primary component of this position involves staffing two stakeholder groups consisting of tribal government representatives who are focused on nuclear energy development and nuclear waste transportation activities that are of interest to Native American tribes. Staffing the working groups includes numerous tasks, such as planning and facilitating meetings, organizing conference calls and webinars, distributing relevant updates and information to the working groups and developing documents as necessary. The position may also perform research, analysis and writing on these issues and other environment, energy and transportation issues.
The ideal candidate will have experience in meeting planning and facilitation, coupled with knowledge of state-tribal relations, American Indian governance and related intergovernmental issues. The successful candidate will have experience working with tribes, or an interest in tribal issues. The ideal candidate can handle multiple projects and politically sensitive matters, and possesses an understanding of issues facing Indian Country. Candidates must be highly organized while maintaining flexibility and adaptability in evolving situations. This position is based in the Denver, Colorado NCSL office.
Typical duties include the following:
- Plan, coordinate, attend and facilitate up to 12 meetings per year.
- Run and/or participate in conference calls, webinars and various working group activities.
- Manage stakeholder relations, including tribal leaders and staff, government agency staff (state and federal), funders and industry experts.
- Compile meeting summaries and necessary follow-up meeting documents.
- Research, analyze and write publications and reports.
- Answer constituent information requests.