Known as one of the world's toughest sheepdog competitions, the Meeker Classic features 135 Border Collie/Handler teams test their skills against the tough "Meeker Sheep" in this 5-day competition that includes 3 days of preliminary runs, a Semi-final competition and the Finals on the last day.
Each dog and handler gets one prelminary run, the top 30 dogs advance to the Semi Finals on Saturday, September 12, 2020. The Top 12 Dogs from the Semis advance to the Final Competition on Sunday, September 13, 2020 Dogs will be running all day long for each of the 5 days. A host of other events and attractions complete the Meeker Classic. Join the community of Meeker in celebrating one of the premier events in Colorado. SEE OUR DETAILED SCHEDULE OF EVENTS
• World Class Sheep Dog Competition – 135 Dogs
• Daily Dog Demos: Stock Dogs, Sniffer dogs, Police Dogs, Agility & Flybal, Guide Dog, Western Border Collie Rescue
• Special EVENING Attractions Thursday, Friday & Saturday (Thursday - Art Reception, Friday - Meeker Mustang Makeover at Fairgrounds, Saturday - Jammin' Lamb Festival downtown
•Friday evening, Sept. 11, 2020 5:30 - 9 pm Event visitors can attend the Meeker Mustang Makeover at the Rio Blanco County Fairgrounds.The horses are randomly assigned to their trainers on May 30th. Trainers have 100 days to train these horses and bring them in to the fairgrounds on Friday, Sept.11, 2020 for a competition and auction.
- Artisan & Craft Festival Musicians & Bagpiping
• Food Fair offers a culinary adventure for all featuring Lamb Kabobs, Gyros, Fajitas, Barbeque, Navajo Tacos, Ice Cream, Pastries & More
• Free Daily Demos: Navajo Weaving, Spinning, Felting, Pottery, Leatherwork, Culture & History, Care of the Hat, Weaving, Knitting, Felting, Pottery, Painting, Braiding and Leatherwork Demonstrations
• Border Collie Handling, Agility & Flyball, Dutch Oven Cooking
• No Shaded Seating – bring sunscreen, hat and binoculars
• Free Shuttle to and from Downtown
• Jammin’ Lamb Festival & Free Outdoor Concert - Purchase Tickets
• International Art Contest & Silent Auction
• Please Leave Your Pets at Home – Daily Dog Boarding off-site at 970-878-5655
The Meeker Classic intertwines sheepdog trials, education, culture and history into a weeklong showcase of sportsmanship, volunteerism and friendship. Even more so significant is the true sense of community it elicits for all those involved.
A friendly reminder - due to the nature of the event, spectator dogs are not allowed. Please leave your pet at home or make dog boarding arrangements for your stay in Meeker.