NCSL POSITION ANNOUNCEMENT
JOB TITLE: Accountant II - Revenue
PROGRAM: Finance and Accounting
LOCATION: Denver, CO
Are you ready to join an organization with an extraordinary mission? The National Conference of State Legislatures offers careers where you can use your skills, knowledge and experience to truly make a difference. NCSL’s mission is purposeful – strengthening the legislative institution. From informing effective policies and promoting communication among state legislatures, to ensuring states have a strong, cohesive voice in the federal system, our team works in service of legislatures. And, with a commitment to constantly innovating all resources and services to meet the evolving needs of members, NCSL has earned the reputation as the nation’s most trusted bipartisan membership organization for legislators and legislative staff. Our success serving NCSL members relies on our team of passionate, dedicated professionals who work diligently to strengthen the legislative institution. Join our team and contribute to this unique, essential mission.
A healthy revenue stream is at the heart of any organization’s long-term survival. If you have a natural tendency keeping things organized, enjoy working with a small team, and can look at a process and make recommendations for improvement, you will appreciate what this position has to offer. You will need to possess a good understanding of governmental and non-profit accounting as it relates to private contributions, grants from the federal government, meeting registrations, merchandise sale, association membership dues and pass-through agreements. An extensive knowledge and ability to work through complex funding scenarios to figure out the proper accounting treatment will be essential.
This position reports to the Controller and the Chief Financial Officer and works with another revenue accountant on a daily basis, along with four other accountants on the team. The team meets regularly and works through projects on a collaborative basis.
This position is a mostly performed in an office environment with prolonged periods of sitting at a desk and working on a computer. You will be required to utilize standard office equipment such as filing cabinets, copy machines, laptops, printers, scanners, and smartphones. Travel by airplane including overnights and weekends required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Responsibilities, expectations, and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
Experience and Education
- A college degree in Accounting, Finance, Business Administration or a related field plus six years of accounting work experience. At least one year as a lead or supervisor is preferred.
- Knowledge of the principles and practices of accounting and auditing;
- Excellent interpersonal skills and customer-focused attitude, with high level of professionalism, discretion and ability to maintain composure;
- Working knowledge of office operations, business practices, grants funding, and the use of office equipment;
- Comprehensive knowledge of use of computers and computer software in accounting responsibilities;
- Skill and competence to devise and install methods, procedures, and systems of accounting to assist in the complex operation and design of the system;
- Skill and competence to prepare financial and analytical reports;
- Skill and competence to plan and schedule work and to train and supervise subordinate accounting personnel;
- Skill and competence in developing and maintaining effective working relationships with other employees, with grantors, auditors, and other persons involved with NCSL financial transactions.
- Highly detail-oriented and organized
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills; experience in effectively communicating key data in both written and verbal form
- Ability to meet a constant stream of deadlines in a timely manner
- Proven ability to work both independently and collaboratively with different levels of employees
- Superior analytical and problem-solving skills
- Familiarity with accounting software and programs
NCSL offers an outstanding benefits package including low-cost health, dental and vision coverage, a 401(a)-retirement plan with 10% employer contribution after 6 months and full vesting, life & disability insurance, 3-weeks paid vacation with 5+ years of paid full-time work experience, paid family leave, telework, pet insurance, discounted bus / train passes, in-office dry cleaning pick up, access to 24-hour fitness memberships, and more! Relocation assistance provided for out-of-state candidates.
Interested candidates should apply online and include a cover letter and resume highlighting skills and qualifications no later than January 25, 2021 by 5pm MST.
NCSL is proud to be an equal opportunity employer and is committed to developing a diverse, dynamic team and inclusive workplace.