Karis is a nonprofit organization focusing on providing evidence-based services and high-quality housing to homeless teens and youth in Mesa County. The goal of Karis’ programs is to help our neighbors who are experiencing homelessness improve overall well-being by pursuing HOME goals: (H) Housing that is safe and secure (O) opportunities for building long term relationship with healthy adults and communities (M) meaning through education and employment (E) emotional, physical, and psychological well-being.
Karis programs include: These programs include the following:
Street Outreach Program (SOP)— centered on our drop-in center; brings services to homeless youth at their schools, camps, and throughout the community
The House— a ten-bed emergency teen shelter
Transitional Living Program (TLP)— transitional housing in two houses and two apartments; youth may reside in these for up to two years
Zoe House— a five-bedroom house and eight apartments for youth who have lost housing due to intimate partner violence
Bonnie’s House — a five-bed, shared, permanent housing project
Laurel House — thirty-four single-bedroom apartments and extensive services for our community’s most vulnerable youth
Asset House — a shared housing program with twelve single-occupancy rooms for adults
Karis’s 2020–2021 operating budget is 3 million.
Job Description and Responsibilities
The ED has strategic and operational responsibility for Karis’s staff, programs, expansion, and execution of the mission and, over time, will develop a knowledge of Karis’s values, core programs, funding obligations, and business operations.
Leadership and Management
The executive director is responsible for
· ensuring that programs are well run, thoroughly evaluated, and reach targeted outcomes in manners consistent with Karis’s values.
· the consistent quality of business systems, including financial management, fundraising, communication, and human relations.
· engaging and energizing Karis’s volunteers, board members, event committees, alumni, partnering organizations, and funders.
· developing, maintaining, and supporting a strong board of directors.
· serving as ex officio of board committees.
· recruiting, leading, coaching, developing, and retaining Karis’s senior management team.
Fundraising and Communications
The executive director will:
· secure the resources necessary to achieve the agency’s mission.
· work with local, state, and national partners to strengthen relationships and expand funding.
· oversee the writing large federal and state grants.
· deepen and refine all aspects of communications—from web presence to external relations, with the goal of creating strong brand recognition.
· serve as the agency’s spokesperson.
Planning and New Business
The executive director will:
· lead the board of directors in defining the agency’s strategic direction.
· explore new opportunities to expand the agency’s services.
· create policies and structures necessary to achieve new goals.
· The ED will be thoroughly committed to Karis’s mission and values.
· All candidates should have proven leadership, coaching, and relationship-management experience.
· Specific requirements include the following:
o Bachelor’s degree required. Advanced degree preferred, ideally an MSW or MBA, with at least ten years of senior management experience
o Track record of effectively leading and scaling a performance-and-outcomes-based organization and staff; ability to point to specific examples of having developed and implemented operationalized strategies that have taken an organization to the next stage of growth
o Unwavering commitment to quality programs and data-driven program evaluation
o Excellence in organizational management, with the ability to coach staff, manage and develop high-performance teams, set and achieve strategic objectives, and manage a budget
o Past success working with a board of directors; the ability to cultivate existing board member relationships
o Strong marketing, public relations, and fundraising experience, with the ability to engage a wide range of stakeholders and cultures
o Strong written and verbal communication skills; a persuasive and passionate communicator with excellent interpersonal and multidisciplinary project skills
o Action-oriented, entrepreneurial, adaptable, and innovative approach to business planning
o Ability to work effectively in collaboration with diverse groups of people
o Passionate, compassionate, disciplined, relationship oriented, idealistic, mission-driven, and self-directed
Compensation and Benefits
Karis provides competitive pay and benefits. The salary range is 90K-120, and will commensurate with education, qualifications, and experience. This full-time position meets eligibility requirements for health and dental benefits. Other benefits include paid time off, simple IRA, Employee Assistance Program, and 8 paid holidays. Waiting periods may apply.