JOB TITLE: Finance Manager – Budget & Revenue
PROGRAM: Finance and Accounting
LOCATION: Denver, CO
SALARY: $8,781 p/month
Are you ready to join an organization with an extraordinary mission? The National Conference of State Legislatures offers careers where you can use your skills, knowledge and experience to truly make a difference. NCSL’s mission is purposeful – strengthening the legislative institution. From informing effective policies and promoting communication among state legislatures, to ensuring states have a strong, cohesive voice in the federal system, our team works in service of legislatures. And, with a commitment to constantly innovating all resources and services to meet the evolving needs of members, NCSL has earned the reputation as the nation’s most trusted bipartisan membership organization for legislators and legislative staff. Our success serving NCSL members relies on our team of passionate, dedicated professionals who work diligently to strengthen the legislative institution. Join our team and contribute to this unique, essential mission.
ABOUT THE ROLE:
The Finance Manager is a senior leadership position that performs complex, multi‑function, professional accounting, budgeting and supervisory work involving organizational financial/accounting systems. It includes direct supervision of Accountants and Accounting Technicians, making professional accounting reviews and decisions, and administration of a comprehensive set of controls and budgets designed to mitigate risk. The Finance Manager will oversee all cash and revenue activities of the organization’ association management system, ensuring timely and accurate reconciliation with bank records and subsidiary records. The Finance Manager will review and analyze financial information to assess whether revenues and expenses are on target to meet forecasts. The Finance Manager should have knowledge of and adhere to Federal/State regulations and ensure annual audits and related reports are completed in accordance with federal reporting requirements, GAAP, GASB and other applicable regulatory standards. The work is performed independently and is subject to NCSL policies and accounting principles. The position reports to the Chief Financial Officer.
QUALIFICATIONS FOR SUCCESS:
- Bachelor's degree in business, accounting, finance, or related field plus ten years of relevant and progressive work experience in accounting, budgeting, or financial management.
- Previous supervisory experience is required.
- Skill and competence to plan and schedule work and train subordinate accounting personnel.
- Thorough knowledge and technical expertise in accounting principles and practices and auditing. Experience with nonprofit or governmental accounting is preferred.
- Working knowledge of business operations and practices, grant funding, and financial software and applications.
- Skill and competence to devise and install methods, procedures, and to prepare and present complex financial statements and reports.
- Ability to interpret and apply Federal and other grantor fiscal policies, laws, rules, and regulations.
- Excellent personnel management, written and oral communication skills.
- Skill and competence in developing and maintaining effective working relationships with other employees, with grantors, auditors, and other persons involved with organizational financial activities.
- Ability to work in a politically neutral manner and to deal with sensitive and confidential matters.
- Ability to travel by air up to 1-2 times per year, with most trips being 3-4 nights, as well as work extended hours, possibly evenings and weekends, usually associated with events/travel/fiscal year end.
THE WORK ENVIRONMENT:
This position is a mostly performed in an office environment, on or off-site, with prolonged periods of sitting at a desk and working on a computer. Team members utilize standard office equipment such as copy machines, laptops, printers, scanners, and smartphones. Expand your horizons with travel opportunities to network with lawmakers and staff across the country (includes overnights and weekends by airplane). Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
HOW TO JOIN OUR TEAM:
A career with NCSL offers exciting opportunities to grow your career in line with your aspirations. We gladly invite you to apply for this role by including a resume and cover letter here, before 5pm MST on October 7, 2021. We are looking forward to receiving your application!
NCSL is proud to be an equal opportunity employer and is committed to developing a diverse, dynamic team and inclusive workplace. NCSL does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran status, disability, or any other status protected by law or regulation.