The Murphy Center for Hope (“Murphy Center”) is a resource center for people who are homeless or at-risk of experiencing homelessness. Multiple agencies operate programs out of the building. The Murphy Center is managed by Homeward Alliance.
Homeward Alliance has been tasked with finding warming solutions for our homeless community through the winter months. Because there is no public/widespread solution for a daily warming center in Larimer County, the purpose of our outdoor day shelter will be to prevent crisis for vulnerable individuals, provide outdoor heating and avoid serious illness or death. This position will require a lot of outdoor time as we will not be able to accommodate shelter inside for all our guests on a daily basis because of COVID-19 limitations.
During extreme winter weather conditions, we will operate 3 indoor day shelter sites.
We strive to keep our staff and guests safe during this time. We provide all staff with the necessary PPE and have implemented extensive safety/mask-wearing protocols for guests.
This is not optimal, nor do we feel like it is enough. We continue to relentlessly advocate for additional help but will be providing adequate staff to deal with these situations and will continue to help connect our guests to resources that will aid them in moving towards the goal of housing. We do not want to lose traction in this time of uncertainty, so we are adding two Guest Services Coordinator positions through April 30th, 2021.
If you are applying for this job, it is important to know the following:
- This position is for 20-25 hours a week, temporary, seasonal, with no benefits;
- The most important duty is to help run an indoor Inclement Weather Day (IWD) site when weather conditions are too difficult for our guests to be outside. We will not know more than a few days ahead of time which days will be called as IWDs. On these days, you will be required to work a 9-10 hour day, regardless of if it is a weekday, weekend, or holiday, and of course, regardless of the weather conditions.
- On non-IWDs, you will be scheduled for 4-5 hours a day, on either a consistent morning or afternoon shift, every weekday, Monday through Friday. This includes Thanksgiving, Christmas eve, Christmas, New Year's Eve, and New Year's Day. Your duties on these days will be as a Resource Navigator at the Murphy Center, helping our guests sign up for public benefits.
If you are a person who is passionate and truly wants to help the homeless population in Fort Collins, this will be a great job for you.
The position reports to the Murphy Center Director.
2 Positions available: Part-time, temporary until April 30th, 2021:
- On non-IWDs, either 8:00am - 12:30pm or 12:30pm - 5:00 pm: Monday - Friday
- On IWDs, 7:30am - 5:30pm.