NCSL POSITION ANNOUNCEMENT
JOB TITLE: Policy Associate
PROGRAM: Children and Families
SALARY: $4,199 p/month
Are you ready to join an organization with an extraordinary mission? The National Conference of State Legislatures offers careers where you can use your skills, knowledge and experience to truly make a difference. NCSL’s mission is purposeful – strengthening the legislative institution. From informing effective policies and promoting communication among state legislatures, to ensuring states have a strong, cohesive voice in the federal system, our team works in service of legislatures. And, with a commitment to constantly innovating all resources and services to meet the evolving needs of members, NCSL has earned the reputation as the nation’s most trusted bipartisan membership organization for legislators and legislative staff. Our success serving NCSL members relies on our team of passionate, dedicated professionals who work diligently to strengthen the legislative institution. Join our team and contribute to this unique, essential mission.
NCSL seeks a policy associate for its growing Denver-based Children and Families program. This is a generalist position working on primarily housing and homelessness, household economic security and child support and family law. This position requires competence in policy research and analysis and must be able to summarize and describe policy issues, legislation and legislative trends. In addition, this position assists with planning and conducting educational events for legislators and legislative staff, monitoring and reporting on current events, and creating and updating online content. This position will have frequent contact with legislators, legislative staff and other officials. Work will include a mix of independent and collaborative functions. This position reports to the program director.
This position has no direct supervisory responsibilities.
This position is a mostly performed in an office environment with prolonged periods of sitting at a desk and working on a computer. You will utilize standard office equipment such as filing cabinets, copy machines, laptops, printers, scanners, and smartphones. Travel by airplane, including overnights and weekends required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Responsibilities, expectations, and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
QUALIFICATIONS FOR SUCCESS:
- Bachelor's degree, plus three years of relevant work experience, such as public policy experience with NCSL, state government or with an organization focused on public policy.
- A post-baccalaureate or graduate degree (i.e., master’s degree, professional degree or doctoral degree) may be substituted for up to one year of the required work experience.
- Relevant subject-matter knowledge is preferred, but not necessary.
- Ability to communicate clearly, effectively and professionally in writing and orally.
- Competence in policy research skills, including internet searches; accessing and analyzing government documents, academic reports, white papers and other resources; and analyzing and synthesizing research and legislation.
- Must be proficient using the Microsoft Office suite.
- Experience with HTML web editors, online survey tools and data visualization software is preferred.
- Proficiency using webinar and video conferencing platforms a plus.
- Proven ability to work on tasks requiring meticulous attention to detail, including reading, tracking and summarizing detailed or complicated legislation.
- Strong knowledge of the legislative process and state government.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality and handle politically sensitive work.
- Strong organizational skills, including the ability to manage multiple tasks and deadlines simultaneously. Ability to work under deadline pressure and adapt to changes in workload.
- Ability to work collaboratively with others and to work independently.
- Must be able to travel out of state by airplane 5-6 times per year, generally for 2-3 days.
Interested candidates should apply online and include a cover letter and resume highlighting skills and qualifications no later than April 30, 2021 by 5pm MST.
NCSL is proud to be an equal opportunity employer and is committed to developing a diverse, dynamic team and inclusive workplace. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran, disability, or any other status protected by law or regulation.