This position will require the successful candidate to develop the Colorado Succeeds policy agenda, oversee the research and development of future policies, and draft initial legislative policy concepts with key coalition partners. The position will also oversee the Colorado Succeeds policy committee, ensuring strong engagement and retention of business members. The position requires the management of the Government Affairs team, including Government Affairs staff, policy fellows, and contract lobbyists.
Government Affairs Expertise
- Review current and proposed laws and regulations and analyze the potential alignment with Colorado Succeeds core principles and priorities.
- Provide testimony, public statements, and presentations on education policy issues to the State Legislature, State Board of Education, business leaders, and other education partners and stakeholders.
- Develop and maintain professional relationships with leaders in the legislature, relevant state agencies, State Board of Education, Governor’s office, and other key stakeholders and advocacy partners.
- Work collaboratively with the Colorado Succeeds communications and membership teams to educate and engage Colorado Succeeds members in our priorities.
- Engage, develop, and support partnerships with government agencies, school districts, schools, and community coalitions to effectively implement policy and advocacy priorities.
- Review and synthesize research, emerging trends, effective policy, evidence-based practices, and promising innovations at the international, national, state, district, and school levels to translate data into actionable initiatives.
- Serve as a content expert on public education issues, ensuring that Colorado Succeeds is a pre-eminent voice in the statewide discussion of legislation, regulations, and best practices.
- Write actionable policy reports, testimonies, blogs, briefing memos, fact sheets, talking points and other substantive communications materials that explain and advocate our priorities.
Business and Civic Leadership
- Exhibit executive presence and strong public speaking skills in public forums and all professional arenas.
- Recognized across Colorado as a business and civic leader with national expertise in education policy, practice, and philanthropy.
- Exemplify a nonpartisan commitment to cross ideological pursuit of solutions and pragmatically stay focused on what works and is guided by clear principles and non-partisan objectives.
- Effectively advance Colorado Succeeds perspective and objectives among the business, government, education, and nonprofit leaders.