American Association of Post-Acute Care Nursing
TITLE: IT Support Specialist
REPORTS TO: VP of Operations
CLASSIFICATION: Full-time, Exempt
PRIMARY PURPOSE OF POSITION
The IT Support Specialist will support the Director of IT by providing technical support and assistance to Association management and staff. The IT Support Specialist will help maintain all computer systems, hardware, mobile devices and related systems. Work may include installing, configuring, and updating hardware and software, as well as fixing any issues related to office equipment, such as printers, scanners, hard drives, monitors, etc. This position will also work with vendors to open/manage support tickets and resolve issues in a timely manner.
This position requires a thorough understanding of computer networks and servers and the ability to provide superior customer service, along with a positive outlook on problem solving. The ideal candidate views the world of IT as a place to constantly learn and thrives when researching and testing advances in technology. This individual should be flexible and comfortable switching between projects and tasks quickly, as they will work cooperatively and collaboratively with all levels of management and staff to ensure meeting Association and member needs. This individual is always willing to help, and by doing so will gain a general understanding of AAPACN’s business processes, member issues, and technological support for these processes and requirements.
Decision-making: Decisions made are at a defined level and are based on existing protocols and procedures. The IT Support Specialist works closely with the Director of IT and Association staff to maintain the network and servers and assist with security matters. This position requires decision-making ability and the experience to know when to escalate to the IT Director, and acceptance of accountability for decisions made.
Complexity: The IT Support Specialist must demonstrate a working knowledge of computer networks, servers and standard IT operations and procedures. This job has a high impact on the success of the business and operations.
Duties/% of time spent
Provides general IT department support, such as troubleshooting, maintenance, and improvements of current systems. Provides support to the IT Director on new projects, including research, testing, and documentation. Provides support to AAPACN staff through maintenance of user accounts.
% of time spent: 60%
Supports AAPACN office staff with general questions, troubleshooting, and other generic IT tasks, such as setting up workstations and general technology training. Assists staff with troubleshooting member problems with the website and other integrated platforms.
% of time spent: 30%
Assists with maintenance of the website related to DNN functionality, technical administration, and integrations.
% of time spent: 10%
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
IT department operations and new project support
- Assist with managing system users (network setup, logins, user accounts in other platforms, etc.)
- Manage inventory process (documenting current hardware and software, updating lists as necessary, working with IT Director to determine when orders should be placed, etc.)
- Assist with troubleshooting main systems and applications
- Participate in maintenance on current systems (network updates, firmware updates, certificate updates, etc.)
- Participate in maintenance of system data (preparing backups, securing databases, restoring files as needed, etc.)
- Contribute to research and testing of new software and technological advancements for the company
- Assist with installation and configuration of new technology (hardware, operative systems, programs/applications, etc.)
- Assist with planning and building automations that improve workflow efficiencies
- Create and maintain documentation on work done (for historic reference), ongoing departmental processes and procedures, and guides for internal staff
Internal office staff support
- Serve as the primary contact for staff related to internal helpdesk support and troubleshooting reported problems
- Provide support to staff with generic IT issues (setting up workstations, managing staffing changes, access/functionality questions about current software, etc.)
- Assist with training and communicating changes to internal staff on new policies, procedure, technologies, etc.
- Assist staff with troubleshooting member problems with the website and other integrated platforms (such as communities, LMS, job board, etc.); work with staff and vendors to analyze and implement solutions
Web maintenance and support
- Assist marketing with webpage creation and maintenance, working to maintain graphic integrity, website format, SEO, and analytics
- Assist with managing all tasks related to CMS (content management system) using DNN (DotNetNuke)
- Serve as liaison with website development and member community software vendors, and coordinate with the database team related to website hosting issues
- Provide technical administration for member community
- Act as the Association’s liaison with members’ organizational IT departments to troubleshoot issues to ensure successful delivery and receipt of electronic communications
To perform the job successfully, an individual should demonstrate the following competencies:
- High attention to detail and accuracy when solving problems
- High level of IT literacy with significant proficiency in the MS Office Suite of products
- Drive to actively identify new areas for learning; regularly creates and takes advantage of learning opportunities and applies newly gained knowledge and skills on the job
- Analytical and methodical approach to problem solving; ability to generate and evaluate alternatives and make timely recommendations/decisions
- Ability to develop and leverage relationships within and across work groups to achieve results
- Ability to translate and communicate complex problems or concepts in a simplified, easily understandable way to audiences less comfortable with IT literacy
- Positivity and the ability to focus on solving conflict directly and constructively
- Confidence to speak clearly and persuasively in positive or negative situations
- Ability to prioritize and plan work activities and use time efficiently
- Willingness to handle a variety of tasks and be a good team player
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Bachelor’s degree
- Two to three years of related experience, or equivalent combination of education and experience
- Strong working knowledge of computer hardware and software, as well as networking protocols and concepts (e.g. VPN, routing, ports, TCP/IP, network analysis tools)
- Strong working knowledge of Windows operating systems
- Strong working knowledge of the MS Office Suite of products
- Excellent communication skills with ability to adapt communication style to various audiences
- Outstanding customer relationship skills and willingness to “go the extra mile”
- Bachelor’s degree in IT or Computer Science
- Strong working knowledge of Linux operating systems
- Familiarity with web development and various platforms (e.g. DNN, WordPress)
- Previous experience with VoIP technology
- Previous experience with project management software (e.g. Jira, Confluence)
- Relevant certifications
- Assigned days and times within a Monday through Friday workweek
- Occasional long days or weekend work as workload demands
- Flexible and remote work schedules are available
- General office working conditions
This position description does not list all of the duties of the job. You will be evaluated in part based upon your performance of the tasks listed in this position description. Management has the right to revise this position description at any time. The position description is not a contract for employment, and either you or the employer may terminate employment at any time, for any reason.