On March 17, the U.S. Senate Finance Committee held a hearing entitled "Examining Charitable Giving and Trends in the Nonprofit Sector" featuring nonprofit sector leaders and researchers.
Colorado Nonprofit Association submitted letters to Senator Michael Bennet and other committee members to brief them on trends in Colorado on giving to nonprofits, volunteerism, and the nonprofit workforce.
The letter makes the following policy recommendations to the committee:
- Restore the Employee Retention Tax Credit from the 4th quarter of 2021 through 2022
- Continue charitable giving incentives enacted during the pandemic including the universal charitable deduction for non-itemizers
- Protect levels of American Rescue Plan Act (ARPA) funding allocated to state and local governments
- Incentivize volunteerism by address unfair tax treatment of volunteer mileage
- Champion the Nonprofit Sector Strength and Partnership Act of 2022
We ask that Colorado's nonprofit organizations help advance these issues by signing onto a national letter.